The 25 wards in the City of London each have an Alderman, a Deputy and at least one other “Common Councilman”. The latter two categories are collectively called “Common Councilmen” (or a “Common Councilman”), regardless of the individual’s gender. In Queenhithe, the elected representatives have responsibility for representing the interests of Queenhithe residents and businesses within the ward. We are Members of the City of London Corporation which is based at Guildhall.
More information may be found at: http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/about-the-city/how-we-make-decisions/Pages/default.aspx
- Originally a Roman harbour – possibly one of the first areas in the region occupied by the Romans.
- In Saxon times, the dock was known as “Aeðereshyð”, later “Ethelred’s Hythe”.
- It is known that the dock existed when Alfred the Great, King of Wessex, re-established the City of London, circa 886 AD. A plaque commemorating this event was unveiled at Queenhithe Dock in 1986 to celebrate the 1100th anniversary of this event.
- The dock became known as Queenhithe when Matilda, daughter of King Henry I, was granted duties on goods landed there.
- Queenhithe harbour was used for importing corn into London and continued to be in use into the 20th century, by the fur and tanning trades.
- King Charles II landed at Queenhithe during the Great Fire of London in September 1666 to view the extent of the destruction and, it is said, assist in the firefighting.
- The dock, including the wharf walls and adjacent street, was designated a Scheduled Ancient Monument in 1973; it is the only surviving inlet on the modern City’s waterfront.
- A key sequence of the 1951 Ealing comedy The Lavender Hill Mob used Queenhithe as a location for filming: Mr. Holland, played by Alec Guinness, can be seen falling from a wharf into the Thames and being rescued by two actors dressed as police officers.
- Construction of the Millennium Bridge began in 1998 before its opening in 2000.
- The Queenhithe Mosaic – plotting the history of the Ward from Roman times to the present day – was opened in 2014. This is a superb community project which was conceived by Alderman Gordon Haines http://www.southbankmosaics.com/queenhithe
- The City of London School, at No. 107, Queen Victoria Street;
- The Salvation Army‘s international headquarters, at No. 101, Queen Victoria Street, on the corner of Peter’s Hill;
- The Painter Stainers’ Hall, at No. 9, Little Trinity Lane. This houses the offices of a number of other London Livery Companies;
- The London headquarters of the Japanese bank Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation; and
- Fine City restaurants “High Timber” and “Northbank”, and the popular riverside pub “The Pepys”.